Adventures in Music
ADVENTURES IN MUSIC are brand new ways for you to connect with the San Diego Symphony.
From conducting lessons to golf with our musicians, you’re sure to find a new way to learn about music, connect with the Symphony, and deepen your support for artistic and educational programs. Adventures in Music make the perfect holiday gift, and are available for purchase now.
How to Purchase
For more information or to purchase an Adventure in Music, contact Malina Baker at:
619.615.3906 or MBaker@SanDiegoSymphony.org
DEDICATE A PIECE OF MUSIC IN THE SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA CONCERT PROGRAM
- What better way to honor a loved one, commemorate a special occasion, or offer a memorial than to dedicate a musical selection from this season’s Jacobs Masterworks season? Your dedication will appear alongside the formal concert program printed in the San Diego Symphony’s monthly publication of Performances magazine, distributed to every audience member attending Jacobs Masterworks concerts.
- Note that a piece may receive multiple dedications. Dedications must be received at least eight weeks prior to the performance date.
Dedication pieces listed below.
TAKE IN A SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY CONCERT FROM THE WINGS
- Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be backstage during a concert? Here is your chance to find out! See firsthand what it takes to produce a symphony orchestra concert, watch the musicians as they take the stage, and enjoy the first half of a San Diego Symphony Orchestra from your exclusive vantage point in the wings of Copley Symphony Hall or our summer venue at the Embarcadero Marina Park South. At intermission, you’ll enjoy a reception in the donor lounge, followed by priority seating in the house for the second half.
- Backstage experience for two, to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time during the 2016-17 Winter Season or 2017 Bayside Summer Nights. Performance selection dependent on contractual obligations with any guest artists and conductors.
ALL-ACCESS TOUR OF COPLEY SYMPHONY HALL
- Copley Symphony Hall at the Jacobs Music Center is one of San Diego’s architectural treasures, but there is so much more to this magnificent venue than meets the eye! Your tour will include spaces rarely on view to the general public, including the musicians lounge, guest artist dressing rooms, instrument storage, music libraries, backstage areas, and of course, the stage itself, led by a diverse team of Symphony staff. Don’t miss this exclusive opportunity!
- Tour for four to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time before June 30, 2017.
CLOSED REHEARSAL AND LUNCH WITH ASSOCIATE CONDUCTOR SAMEER PATEL
- A familiar sight on the stage at Copley Symphony Hall and a rising star in the conducting world, we at the Symphony are fortunate to call Associate Conductor Sameer Patel one of our own. As the right-hand man for every conductor who leads the orchestra, Sameer plays one of the most crucial yet underappreciated roles of any in a symphony orchestra. You’ll have the chance to sit with Sameer during a closed rehearsal for a concert of your choosing and see firsthand all that goes into the preparation of an orchestra for a concert. Following the rehearsal, continue the conversation with Sameer over lunch.
- Lunch and rehearsal attendance for two to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time before June 30, 2017. Rehearsal selection dependent on contractual obligations with any guest artists and conductors.
PLAY A ROUND OF GOLF AT THE LA JOLLA COUNTRY CLUB WITH SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY CLARINETIST FRANK RENK
- There is no better way to get to know someone than a few hours on the links! Join Frank Renk, San Diego Symphony Orchestra clarinetist and bass clarinetist, and Warren Kessler, Chairman of the Symphony Board, for a round of golf and lunch at the spectacular and exclusive La Jolla Country Club.
- Round of golf for two to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time before June 30, 2017.
PLAY A ROUND OF GOLF AT THE LA JOLLA COUNTRY CLUB WITH SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY FRENCH HORN PLAYER DOUG HALL
- There is no better way to get to know someone than a few hours on the links! Join Doug Hall, a longtime member of the Symphony’s French horn section, and Mitch Woodbury, Symphony Board member and former Chairman, for a round of golf and lunch at the spectacular and exclusive La Jolla Country Club.
- Round of golf for two to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time before June 30, 2017.
EXCLUSIVE PIPE ORGAN EXPERIENCE AT COPLEY SYMPHONY HALL
- Here is your chance to become acquainted with one of the hidden gems of Copley Symphony Hall. Hidden behind the grates, walls, and balconies of our concert hall stand the 2,500 pipes and component machinery of the Symphony’s full size Robert Morton pipe organ. Join the Symphony’s organ curator, Bob Knight, on a behind-the-scenes tour of this rarely seen yet magnificent instrument and a demonstration of its many capabilities, culminating in your own debut at the keyboard! Finally, you’ll enjoy a private recital from one of the Symphony’s talented guest organists as he demonstrates the full range and power of our organ.
- Behind-the-scenes organ tour, demonstration, and recital for four to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time before June 30, 2017.
GUEST CONDUCTOR EXPERIENCE WITH CRISTIAN MĂCELARU AND MARTHA GILMER
- Get the inside scoop on all that goes into a guest conductor’s appearance with a symphony orchestra. Join San Diego Symphony CEO Martha Gilmer for Cristian Măcelaru’s return in January to conduct the Symphony’s LA/NY concert, featuring Stravinsky’s Symphony in Three Movements and Bernstein’s iconic Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. Following the rehearsal, join Martha and Mr. Măcelaru for coffee and conversation and hear about the fascinating world of conducting. Newly appointed Music Director and Conductor of the Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music, Cristian Măcelaru has established himself as one of the fast-rising stars of the conducting world.
- Coffee and rehearsal attendance for two to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time on the 18th,19th or 20th of January.
CLOSED DRESS REHEARSAL OF A LING LEGACY SERIES PERFORMANCE FOLLOWED BY LUNCH WITH MUSIC DIRECTOR JAHJA LING
- Be a part of our year-long celebration of the Symphony’s longtime Music Director, Jahja Ling, and enjoy a rare opportunity to see the Maestro at work. Attend the closed dress rehearsal of one of this year’s highly anticipated Ling Legacy Series concerts and watch as Maestro Ling rehearses the pieces he has hand-picked to be among the last he conducts as Music Director. Following the rehearsal, join the Maestro for lunch at the University Club atop Symphony Towers.
- To be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time prior to June 30, 2017. Performance type contingent upon availability of the musicians.
DINNER FOR FOUR WITH AND PREPARED BY SDSO CONCERTMASTER JEFF THAYER
- Concertmaster Jeff Thayer and his wife (and fellow violinist) Marlyse Martinez will prepare a gourmet meal in their home for four guests of your choice, plus Jeff and Marlyse. Although Jeff has a few of his own culinary specialties and favorites, he will work with you to devise a menu that suits your preferences and is tailored to any particular occasion.
- Dinner for four to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time prior to June 30, 2017.
YOUR CONDUCTING DEBUT WITH THE SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA... INCLUDING CONDUCTING LESSON WITH ASSOCIATE CONDUCTOR SAMEER PATEL
- Have you ever dreamed of conducting a full symphony orchestra? Here is your chance. Receive a private conducting lesson with Sameer Patel, Associate Conductor of the San Diego Symphony Orchestra, and learn the basics of orchestral conducting from a true expert. Then, take the podium, raise your baton, and put your new skills to the test as you lead the San Diego Symphony Orchestra in a piece during the 2017 Bayside Summer Nights season for an experience you’ll never forget!
- One-hour conducting lesson and appearance with the San Diego Symphony Orchestra to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time during the 2017 Bayside Summer Nights season.
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE PARTY FOR THIRTY
- Delight the budding wizard or witch in your family with an enchanting evening at the Jacobs Music Center, culminating in a screening of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone with live accompaniment by your San Diego Symphony Orchestra. Your group will enjoy a feast worthy of Hogwarts, including magical sweets from Honeydukes, and of course, Madam Rosmerta’s famous butterbeer. Then, take your priority seats in Copley Symphony Hall and take in the story that started it all on the big screen.
- Catered Harry Potter themed party for thirty to be scheduled on March 11, or 12, 2017.
PRIVATE PERFORMANCE IN YOUR HOME BY A STRING QUARTET OF SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY MUSICIANS WITH CATERING FOR THIRTY
- Enjoy an intimate performance of chamber music the way it was meant to be heard: in the comfort of your own home. A private performance by a string quartet made up of San Diego Symphony musicians is sure to elevate your special occasion to the next level. We’ll work with you to craft a program that aligns with your musical interests, and is sure to leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
- Forty-five minute performance to be scheduled at a mutually agreeable time prior to June 30, 2017. Catering credit valued at $3,000 to be used at the discretion of the host.
Dedicate one of these pieces to your loved one:
JANUARY 6, 8
NORMAN: Suspend (Piano Concerto)
COPLAND: Piano Concerto
GERSHWIN: An American in Paris
JANUARY 20, 22
STRAVINSKY: Symphony in Three Movements
ADAMS: City Noir
COPLAND: Quiet City
BERNSTEIN: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story
BERNSTEIN: Suite from On the Waterfront
KORNGOLD: The Seahawk
JANUARY 27, 29
BARBER: Symphony No. 1
BERNSTEIN: Prelude, Fugue and Riffs
GOULD: Tap Dance Concerto
IVES: Symphony No. 2
FEBRUARY 3, 5
SHOSTAKOVICH: Festive Overture
SAINT-SAËNS: Violin Concerto No. 3
TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No. 4
RACHMANINOFF: Piano Concerto No. 1
PROKOFIEV: Symphony No. 1 “Classical”
HAYDN: Sinfonia Concertante for Oboe, Bassoon, Violin, and Violincello
BARTÓK: Concerto for Orchestra
BEETHOVEN: Leonore Overture No. 2
SHOSTAKOVICH: Violin Concerto No. 1
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 5
HAYDN: Cello Concerto in C Major
BRUCKNER: Symphony No. 8
STRAVINSKY: Violin Concerto
SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 9*
RAVEL: Daphnis et Chloé Suite No. 2
MAHLER: Symphony No. 3
WEBERN: Im Sommerwind
BARTÓK: Piano Concerto No. 3
SCHUMANN: Symphony No. 1 “Spring”
BEETHOVEN: Overture to The Creatures of Prometheus
MOZART: Violin Concerto No. 3*
RAVEL: La valse
BRAHMS: Piano Concerto No. 2
SIBELIUS: Symphony No. 2
*Piece has already received one or more dedications.
Deadline for January dedications to appear in concert program is December 15.