Young Artist Competition
Over the past several months, the San Diego Symphony Orchestra has been conducting an audit and evaluation of many of our on-going education programs. One of the goals of this process was to identify programs that continue to serve community needs well and effectively, as well as identifying programs that may be redundant or be in need of updating.
After careful consideration, we have made the decision to retire our Hot Shots Young Artists Competition effective in the 2016-17 season. Thirty years ago when we started this program it was unique and provided exceptionally talented young musicians with a very rare opportunity, but as the years went on, several other very outstanding programs were developed which served a similar need. We are very proud of the impact this program has had on young musicians over the years, and appreciate the support of music teachers, parents and students who invested time and energy in this competition.
Congratulations to our 2015 HOT SHOTS Winners!
Jonathan Sussman – In His Own Words:
I am a recent graduate of Scripps Ranch High School. I study the flute with Jane Masur and the violin with Eileen Wingard. Although my father is a pianist, I was drawn to the wind instruments, beginning with the recorder and flute since age five. I began studying the violin and viola at age eight. Aside from performing solo recitals, I have been the principal violist of the Youth Philharmonic Orchestra, and I play in several chamber groups that perform around San Diego. My performances extend far past classical music, encompassing jazz and Klezmer improvisation. When I am not practicing or performing, I enjoy cycling, playing tennis and computer programming. I will be a flute performance major with Jim Walker at the Thornton School of Music. In addition, I will be pursuing another degree in biomedical engineering from the Viterbi School of Engineering.
Recent awards include:
- 1st place Rancho Bernardo Chorale Scholarship
- 1st place Musical Merit Foundation - Winds Instrumental
- 2nd place H. B. Goodlin Scholarship Competition
- 2nd place, La Jolla Symphony and Chorus Young Artists Competition
- 1st place, MTAC VOCE (Voice, Orchestral, Chamber, Ensemble) Competition North County Branch
- 1st place, NCMTAC Senior Scholarship Competition
- MTAC Panel Honors Masterclass—Two selected in California
- 1st place, MTAC VOCE Competition North County Branch Senior Division
- Semifinalist at Musical Merit Scholarship Competition
- 1st place, San Diego Flute Guild Silver Division—High School Soloist Competition
- 1st place, San Diego Flute Guild Orchestral Division
- MTAC Panel Honors Masterclass—Three selected in California
- 1st place, MTAC Concerto Competition
- 1st place, MTAC VOCE Competition North County Branch Intermediate Division
- 1st place, MTAC VOCE State Winds Competition
Andrew Vu – In His Own Words
I started my formal piano lessons at the age of four, and the desire to listen to classical music at home has become an integral part of my early childhood. I currently attend Canyon Crest Academy and Shekhtman Piano Studio.
My achievements include numerous prestigious scholarships and piano competition awards. I have had the honor to perform as guest artist at the distinguished violinist Hoang Cong Luan's Autumn Concert at the Joan B. Kroc Theater venue, as American Protégé winner at Carnegie Hall, and as MTAC Concerto winner with the Greater San Diego Orchestra at University of San Diego Shiley Theater. I have also attended, by special invitation, a private master class with Vlada Vassilieva from the acclaimed duo Petrof.
I currently serve as principal accompanist for the Youth Choir at St. Therese of Carmel Church and enjoy performing solo and collaborative concerts at school events, senior homes (Patrician at Merrill Garden, LifeHouse Vista Healthcare Center, Seacrest Village Retirement Community, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute), community events (Community Church 90th Anniversary Celebration) and libraries (Carmel Valley Library, North University Community Branch Library) throughout California.
Away from my piano, I enjoy biking, swimming, playing tennis and basketball, and I have explored the wonders of nature at 30+ National Parks around the world as an avid hiker.
Recent awards include:
- San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer's Outstanding Asian Pacific Islanders Award.
- 1st Place Award: San Diego Symphony Hot Shots Young Artists Concerto Competition
- 1st Place Award: MTAC San Diego Concerto Competition.
- 2nd Place Award: MTAC San Diego Sonata Contest.
- 2nd Place Award: American Protégé International Competition of Romantic Music.
- 3rd Place Award: Helen B. Goodlin Scholarship Contest.
- 2nd Place Award: Southern California Mozart Youth Festival.
- 1st Place Award: MTAC Carmel Valley Branch Bach and Baroque Festival.
- 1st Place Award: MTAC Carmel Valley Branch Spring Contest.
- 1st Place Award: MTAC Carmel Valley Branch Sonata and Concerto Competition.
- Scholarship Award: MTAC Carmel Valley Branch.
- 2nd Place Award: MTAC Carmel Valley Branch Baroque Festival.
- 1st Place Award: MTAC Carmel Valley Branch Winter Contest.