High School Ambassadors
San Diego Symphony is now accepting applications
for the Summer 2022 program.
Deadline: Monday April 25, 2022 | 5pm
(Late Applications Will Not Be Considered.)
Application overview: Application includes responding to an essay prompt
and providing two letters of recommendation.
The San Diego Symphony’s High School Ambassadors program is a paid summer internship program for high school students to develop skills for future employment in any field, particularly those in the performing arts. The program includes personal and professional development workshops and job shadowing opportunities culminating in a capstone project. Participants will work as ambassadors for the San Diego Symphony within the community and during the Summer 2022 season at its summer venue, The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park.
Here's more about the program:
- Develop job skills for work readiness: professional etiquette and demeanor, communication and customer service, teamwork
- Meet and work alongside industry professionals within a leading arts organization, whose jobs may include responsibilities in Artistic Planning, Customer Service/ Front of House Management, Fundraising, Learning and Community Engagement, Marketing, Special Events, Production, and Orchestra Personnel
- Participate in guest speaker workshops, including workshops about financial literacy, interview skills, communication skills, mindfulness, and different career options within the performing arts
- Develop a broader artistic palette through attendance and participation at San Diego Symphony concerts at The Shell. High School Ambassadors may have access to free or reduced-price concert tickets.
- $15/hour pay, 17.5+ hours per week
- Must be 15 years old by the start of the program (June 26 / July 24, 2022).
- Successfully complete and submit application materials before application deadline.
- Work permit from your school district.
- Participants will comply with the current San Diego Symphony COVID-19 protocols.
- Current protocols include the following:
- All San Diego Symphony personnel must be fully vaccinated. This is applicable to all admin staff, volunteers, symphony musicians, and IATSE members.
- Face coverings must be worn at all times when onsite at The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park.
- San Diego Symphony's overall policy is subject to change due to guidance from licensed medical professionals, public health orders issued by the State and/or County, or other third parties working with the Symphony.
- Members of the graduating class of 2022 are eligible to apply.
- First-time participants will be accepted only, previous applicants who have not yet participated in the program are still encouraged to apply.
- Access to a personal laptop/tablet is not required, but may be helpful for independent work.
- Participants must be able to arrange their own transportation to and from The Rady Shell in Downtown San Diego, as well as offsite workshops (date/time/location TBD).
- No prior work experience is needed.
M*/W/Fri daytime programs, 10a-12p; 1p-4p. Program locations will primarily be at San Diego Symphony venues, but there may be some off-site fieldtrips. Exact locations will be specified before the start of the program, no larger than a 5-10 mile radius from Downtown San Diego.
Fri/Sa: evening usher responsibilities shadowing concert duty, 5:00p-7:30p. Ambassadors may stay for the concerts (depending on ticket availability) but will not be compensated.
*Participants in Cohort 1 will meet on Tuesday, July 5th instead of Monday, July 4th
1st Cohort: June 27, 2022 - July 16, 2022
Daytime program: June 27, June 29, Jul 1
Concert Duty: July 1 and/or July 2
Daytime program: July 5*, July 6, July 8
Concert Duty: July 8 and July 9
Daytime program: July 11, July 13, July 15
Concert duty: July 15 and/or July 16
2nd Cohort: July 25 - Aug 13, 2022
Daytime program: July 25, July 27, July 29
Concert Duty: July 29 and/or July 30
Daytime program: Aug 1, Aug 3, Aug 5
Concert Duty: Aug 6 and/or Aug 7
Daytime program: Aug 8, Aug 10, Aug 12
Concert duty: Aug 13 and/or Aug 14
If you have any questions regarding the High School Ambassadors program,
please contact: email@example.com
High School Ambassadors at The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park, Class of 2021