Welcome to the San Diego Symphony's Auditions Page.
We are thrilled to have Rafael Payare as our new Music Director, as well as Edo de Waart in his new role with us as Principal Guest Conductor. Thank you for considering an audition for our orchestra!
No auditions are scheduled at this time.
Candidates for previously postponed auditions will be advised when those auditions are rescheduled.
To Apply for Any Current National Audition:
No Audition Applications are being accepted at this time.
We do not accept applications via email or mail. For inquiries regarding the audition process, please email: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
(Note: national audition applications are only accepted through the online form, which is active during valid acceptance periods. Applications must be received by the published application deadline. Please do not mail any applications.)
All auditions take place at the Joan and Irwin Jacobs Music Center in downtown San Diego (750 B Street, 92101, NE corner of Seventh and B). Preliminary Auditions will be scheduled by the hour. A deposit is required to reserve an audition time. (The amount will be indicated in your confirmation letter.)
Below are two sources when looking for public domain sheet music:
Employment will begin based on the winner’s availability and the San Diego Symphony schedule.
The current San Diego Symphony Orchestra CBA states the following for the 2019-20 Season:
- Contract: 37 playing weeks plus 5 vacation weeks.
- Minimum scale is $74,485 plus $2,000 EMG (Electronic Media Guarantee).
- Overscale for Principals: 33.5%.
- Overscale for Associate Principals: 20%.
- Benefits include: medical and dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, instrument insurance and a pension plan contribution.
- Season includes: Jacobs Masterworks Classical Series, Fox Theatre Film Series, Berton Family Young People’s Concerts, Family Concert Series, Bayside Summer Nights (outdoor series), Military Concerts and Music Connects Series. The San Diego Symphony Orchestra is the pit orchestra for the San Diego Opera and the California Ballet’s annual production of The Nutcracker.