Auditions - San Diego Symphony
Welcome to the San Diego Symphony's Auditions Page.
We are thrilled to have Rafael Payare as our Music Director, as well as Edo de Waart in his role with us as Principal Guest Conductor. Thank you for considering an audition for our orchestra! The following auditions are announced:
Auditions to be held on May 14-16, 2023.
Follow this link for audition repertoire.
Application Deadline is April 10, 2023.
Cancellation Deadline is May 1, 2023.
To Apply for Any Current Audition:
Follow this link:
A complete audition application must include:
- Online Application
- Resumé (Submitted via application form)
- Refundable Audition Deposit (include audition instrument on memo line)
Applications and deposit checks must be received by the published application deadline. Please do not mail any applications. All candidates that submit a completed application will receive an audition time.
Musicians with diverse backgrounds, identities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
For questions regarding the audition process, please email: email@example.com.
Regarding COVID-19 Safety: all safety protocols in place for these auditions will be communicated to applicants in advance and remain subject to change. At this time:
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required to attend San Diego Symphony auditions.
- Rapid Antigen Testing on arrival at auditions may also be required.
- A face covering that covers both nose and mouth must be worn at all times possible.
Below are two sources when looking for public domain sheet music:
- Educational Music Service (www.emsmusic.com)
- Kalmus (www.efkalmus.com)
Employment will begin based on the winner’s availability and the San Diego Symphony schedule.
The current San Diego Symphony Orchestra CBA states the following for the 2022-23 Season:
- 42 Week Contract: 37 playing weeks plus 5 vacation weeks.
- Minimum scale is $85,800 plus $2,000 Electronic Media Guarantee.
- Overscale for Principals: 33.5%.
- Overscale for Associate Principals: 20%.
- Benefits include: medical and dental insurance, long and short-term disability insurance, life insurance, instrument insurance and a pension plan contribution.
The San Diego Symphony encourages applications from persons of all backgrounds, and all applicants will be invited to audition without shortlisting.
SAN DIEGO SYMPHONY IS PROUD TO WORK IN PARTNERSHIP WITH: