At the San Diego Symphony Orchestra, we strive to make every patron's experience a pleasant one. Volunteers are a valuable extension of our staff in support of the San Diego Symphony Orchestra, a precious San Diego cultural institution. We are seeking energetic, highly motivated, customer service-oriented individuals for performances and events.
Volunteers will support our Customer Experience and Front of House Staff by creating a welcoming environment, answering general questions, directing guests as needed, and upholding our rigorous standards for a positive performance experience. Programming is year-round, with an exceptionally busy summer season.
- Fun, friendly, and outgoing people with excellent interpersonal and communication skills that are open to supporting any performance, indoors or outdoors, rain or shine
- Available to attend regular meetings and periodic trainings
- Foreign language skills a plus
- Prior Front of House and/or hospitality experience is preferred
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to apply
- Greet patrons in a warm and friendly manner at a variety of indoor and outdoor events
- Provide a welcoming, reliable, and informed presence about our history, programming, events, and neighborhood merchants
- Direct patrons to their seats, distribute programs, and assist staff and patrons throughout performances
- Assist with general line management and crowd control
- Serve as a resource and helping hand for guests with disabilities; assist with accessibility needs at each performance venue
- Other duties as assigned
- Have fun!
Qualifications and Physical Demands
- Proven customer service experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible availability is a must, including being able to work during matinee, evening, and weekend performances
- Ability to stand for varying periods of time; such requirements to be performed either with or without reasonable accommodation
- The ability to move quickly and calmly in an emergency
- Must be able to work on all levels of the theater (Balcony, Mezzanine, Orchestra)
- Comfortable working around large groups of people, large crowds with moderate to high noise levels, both inside theaters as well as in the lobbies
All prospective volunteers must attend a training meeting before being placed on assignment. The training will include 4-5 shifts working with staff or volunteer supervisors and introduce basic knowledge and protocols regarding our organization, volunteer program policies, and customer service standards. Periodic meetings and trainings will be held to provide additional information and opportunities for exchange between volunteers and internal departments. All volunteers are asked to attend each of these meetings.
Volunteers will be scheduled for approximately 6 hours per month. Many assignments will involve being outdoors and standing for long periods of time.
Volunteers join us with an implicit understanding that the main reward is in contributing to the San Diego Symphony by enhancing our patron’s overall experience.
To be considered for a volunteer opportunity with the San Diego Symphony, please complete the online application form linked below. All prospective volunteers must attend a group interview as part of the selection process.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn about additional volunteer opportunities with the San Diego Symphony Orchestra’s Special Events, Learning and Community Engagement and Institutional Advancement Intern positions, please contact the Human Resources department by email: email@example.com.